Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Who Are You?

I was sitting on the platform ready to be introduced when the pastor leaned over and asked, “How should I introduce you? You’re not a missionary anymore, are you?”

It was true, I recently moved from Kenya to the states to establish the Center for Intercultural Training in North Carolina, but I had never thought about my title.

“I’m involved in missions more than anytime in my life,” I replied, “so I guess I’m still a missionary.”

Since then I’ve thought about how to explain, in a word, what I do. The function of what I do is many things.

EDUCATOR/TEACHER? I do teach and I do try to educate people on how to do their work in a cross-cultural environment. However, a teacher leaves the impression of a sterile classroom environment. More than academics, my classes are dynamic with real life illustrations of how to take the Gospel across cultural boundaries.

COACH? A coach doesn’t actually hit the ball or throw a pass. He’s on the sideline giving instructions on how to best play the game. In many respects that’s what I do, but unfortunately my coaching is for a limited time, not on their playing field, but in the locker room before they hit the turf.

TRAINER? It’s a popular term and I do try to train people to think through the issues of their ministries. But a trainer, much like a coach, has the connotation of being alongside the trainee.

CONSULTANT? This is a good description of my role. In teaching or coaching, I am in fact consulting people, giving them advice on how to best do their ministries. But the term doesn’t sound quite ministerial and too secular.

So, what am I? Probably a missionary consultant is the best portrayal of what I do. However, no matter the title, I’m more involved in missions than anytime in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot "great dad" and "best-doc-in-the-world."
Becky