Thursday, December 01, 2005

More Than Religion

In a recent newspaper article it stated that India was one of the most religious countries in the world. 86% of the population, according to the report, has a religious belief. This is only second to the Philippines, which claimed to be 91% religious.

The issue of being religious or, the new term, being spiritual, is of course not the point. One can be a devout Christian and still commit the atrocities of ethnic cleansing in Rwanda; a pious Hindu and burn the trains that Muslims ride in; a passionate follower of the Koran and gas Kurds (who are also Muslims). The issue is not religion, but the object of one’s faith. For those who follow Christ, it is never about the institution of religion but what it means to be a follower of Christ. Our emphasis is having a personal and intimate relationship with a personal and living God. Our desire is that people would see the Christ of Christianity, not the religious structure that does not always represent who He is.

3 comments:

AfricaBleu said...

Absolutly true.

Anonymous said...

My name is Miles Gullette. I am currently attending Lubbock Chirstian University. I am Majoring in Missions and I have thought about going to India sometime. My Professor Kirk Hayes gave us your web site. I pray that God gives you the strength and boldness to tell people of Jesus, and I'm sure you know that many times that can be done without words. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

I like what you said now. I always loved Jesus from childhood even though I never thought much of christainity. Some people spoiled the show when they wanted me to buy the religion alongwith Jesus and since then I have not thought of him much... They made Jesus look like the sweet coating of some bitter pill!

For me Jesus is as much sweet & benevolent as is Buddha... and more.