Monday, July 24, 2006

Cost of Labor Wrap Up

Last week a dear sister wrote me from Tulsa stating, and I am paraphrasing, “I have been reading your blog with interest. I’m not a Doer or a Watcher because I have never been overseas. I’m wondering if I am an Intruder?”

She wrote her note prior to my explanation to the last category but I assured her she was certainly NOT in that class. Kathy is typical of 90% of Americans involved in missions. She loves career missionaries (Doers), prays for them by name, writes notes of encouragement, prays for nationals and their ministries within their countries and contributes when she can for world evangelism. If she were physically or financially able she might be more involved in taking short-term trips, but that’s not what drives her. She, like most people interested in missions, sees her work in a support role.

The reality is my emphasis is, and has always been, that we need people overseas who know what they are doing. No matter who they are in the three categories, I created as a lark, I am convinced we need BETTER Doers, Watchers and Intruders. To be better requires more understanding of the world, the people we communicate and yes, even prayer. In my view we need:

Better Doers - Not everyone who lives overseas is effective. Being able to speak a different language, experiencing the frustrations of a developing country doesn’t automatically mean they are doing a service for God and country. Doers have the potential of being much more effective than Watchers and Intruders, but they still have to grow intellectually and spiritually to become better in their service for Christ.

Better Watchers – Those who are better in doing short-term missions are those who serve with understanding, not just zeal. They go to fields where they are needed, interact with those on the ground (Doers and nationals who are in touch with the reality of their context, not just their feelings), and have a plan for their ministry, not just to have an experience. There are some great Watcher programs. Find them, join them, and learn from them.

Better Intruders - I can really get excited about a church or an individual who wants to be more involved, even ownership, as long as they don’t come in with the attitude that Doers and nationals don’t know anything, aren’t doing anything right, so move over, the Marines have landed. I endorse ownership as long as it facilitates what God is doing rather than trying to make it happen. If Intruders will take the time to really partnership with those who live in the context they will always be welcomed and blessed.

Some people don’t like my approach to mission work. That’s okay; I never claimed to be infallible, the final or best word. After thirty-five years as a Doer, strategist, missiologist, I have a fair understanding of the difference between God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility. After thirty-five years in the business I have observed the liberal do-gooders with no message and the conservative legalist who think they have the only message communicated only in their way. While I understand God is mysterious, I am uncomfortable with mystics who just want to throw the seed in the air and pray God will do His work by giving a harvest. (It's the stewardship principle in me that rejects the notion that it's okay that three-fourths of the seed can go to waste since God is using one seed to bring people unto Himself. Think what God could do if three out of four seeds actually landed on soil He could use.) I jealously guard and defend those who have committed themselves to make a difference worldwide. I want to do and be better, and challenge those who are involved in missions, in every category, to do the same.

1 comment:

John said...

Dr.Lewis, I really liked this blog entry! Thanks!
Zsofi Wilson