Sunday, July 15, 2007

Guidelines For Starting Mission Projects

The other evening I met with some people who are on their way to Kenya to explore ministry opportunities. Since they read my blog, what I have to say here is not much different than what I told them over supper. I am sharing my conversation with them because I believe it is pertinent information for many people seeking counsel on how to proceed in doing work overseas. No matter what the project may be, starting an orphanage, building a school, launching a training program, here are some tips for consideration.

First, you might have a passion, there may be a need, but is that the greatest need the people have? In the early ‘80’s there was a European NGO group that was concerned with community health in the villages in the Turkana district of Kenya. They built literally hundreds of first class brick outhouses so that people could defecate in designated spots rather than in the bush in and around the village. The outhouses were even culturally designed, with a hole in the ground instead of western style toilet seats. The Turkanan’s used the outhouses only a few weeks. Why? Because no one maintained the maintained the project. The Turkanan’s were not use to “hitting the hole,” so the inside toilets became a place to avoid rather than place to squat. It was a good idea, but they needed to invest some money in hiring people to maintain the community restrooms.

Second, is your project already in operation by some other group? One of the reasons there are more missionaries in Kenya, per capita, than any other country in Africa is because it is a nation that has a stable government as well as a friendly people. In countries, like Kenya, missionaries and NGO’s tend to cluster in places where there is easy access to water, electricity, good roads and receptivity. My advice is always to ask this question, “Who is working here and can we partner with them in what they are already doing?” We don’t to reinvent the wheel if the area already is being served.

Third, find the area of need. Drilling a borehole so people will have access to water within a one-kilometer walk is admirable, but there may be many places in the country where there are no wells at all. Yes, there may be a need for a new church plant in Kenya, but there may be a greater need in places like Mali or Chad. Quite honestly, one reason some countries and peoples are neglected is because it’s harder work. When I started working in Pokot and Turkana there were no good roads and difficult to travel into the area. In the northeast it’s still tough work because the climate is oppressive and there are roaming bandits. I’m not suggesting that people risk their lives to work in unsafe areas, but if the goal is to be salt and light or to help people with humanitarian aid, the areas of greatest need are often places where the hardships are greater and the fruit of the labor is not easily attained.

Fourth, work with tried and true nationals. Because I work with nationals, primarily Kenyan’s and Indians, I have met some marvelous dedicated men and women. They work and serve in areas few westerners’ can or want to work. I have also met some opportunist’s in my time. Several years ago a church in the states met a man from Burkina Faso who said he wanted to establish a church in his city that was mostly Muslims. His pitch was that if he had the money he could start a bakery that would sustain his family and he could serve effectively as a bi-vocational evangelist. The American congregation poured thousands of dollars into this project and he started his business making a good living, but there is no evidence that he has any ministry. My view is when partnering with nationals it should only be done with those who have a track record of integrity and doing ministry.

The role of the North American Christian in cross-cultural work is always evolving. Zeal, while important, without knowledge can cause more harm than good. Good research, asking the right questions, will insure that passion is rewarded with a quality project.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your blog for the thoughtfulness of the issues you cove, and also for the insight that I gain as I try to transform my local churches missions program into something that is more than merely a check writing organization to assuage the guilt of truly involving and investing ourselves in God's work around the world.

I find your last few sentences to be the most challenging in this post and am wondering if you might post on some of the ways that local churches can do research that matters.

I find that trying to wade through the plethora of materials that western missions organizations have is beyond exhausting, it is downright confusing. Traveling for research (which I would love to do - but perhaps not for the right reasons nor as very good use of money) doesn't seem to yield much given I wouldn't know where to begin to make these kinds of connections.

So, in a church that desires to actively engage in cross-cultural ministry AND wants to begin making a primary focus on working with nationals in ministry, where does one begin and how do we find the research necessary to make informed decisions.

On another note, and I know you have spoken on this topic in various forms - could you comment or post on what you see as the modern role of the North American church in global missions. To play my hand a bit, it seems to me that the NA churches biggest and most influential role could be in relinquishing its grip on needing to GO to the missions field and focusing its energies (primarily in financing) on the nationals already there.

Thank you for the space on your blog. I will end my babbling.

Be blessed brother.

Anonymous said...

"M's" (and even in the business world is) they tend to try and create a need rather than discover it.. Your example of a more civilized squatty potty's is a good one, along with the water well story..What great ideas!!! But the question begs, is it a real need or a perceived need?

People go about "doing" meaningful things, but fail to ask the "customer" how they would be best severed..If they would dedicate themselves to spending more time in the community, (culture) and asking what is and is not needed does several things..( I have a list of benefits)..But don't bait them and say..."don't you think this would be helpful if ?".Most people will accept your willingness to help especially if you are doing it for free.....There is more to discovery than casual conversation...it requires time to ask the WHY question at least 5 times on any identified project.

As you and I have discussed before, people get so excited and committed to ride their little hobby horse they tend to sell a "one-size" fits all approach to doing training, humanitarian projects etc..and they spend lots of time trying to convince people that their programs are needed.. .. Being stuck in the old paradigms is a powerful thing... I see a lot of it in churches and business, with their same old tired programs i.e. perceived needs..
Bill www.ExtensionManagement.com

RG Lewis said...

Malcom,

Good comments and questions...I will post my response later.

Bill, thanks for you comments as well.

Lewis said...

Mr. Lewis,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom about the reality of doing missions. I have been a pastor for 20 years and in 2000 my wife and I planted a new church. I am currently still pastor and also serve my denomination as a church planting strategist.

My wife and I are certain that God is now leading us to start a missions organization with the primary purpose of leading groups on mission both in the US and abroad. We've lead numerous mission trips in the US and also around 30 trips overseas including, Kenya, South Africa, India, and Eastern Europe. I don't say any of this bragging because I feel like a beginner and really believe that one could take what I know about church planting and missions and hold it in one hand.

In the beginning of our trips it was more about the going than the doing. It was always bragging conversation which resulted in the sin of pride. However God has matured our hearts and at age 52 I deeply value the wisdom of those like yourself who have invested their lives for the Kingdom and appreciate your sacrifice. Our heart now is to lead short term mission trips with groups willing to serve those on the mission field. If the toilets need cleaning then that's what our groups must be willing to do before they get on the plane or in the bus.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom as we begin this new journey will be very much appreciated.

God bless, Lewis Whittington

RG Lewis said...

Lewis

I must admit, when I read your comment my first thought was, “This guy must not have read some of my other blogs.” If you do, you will know that I am not a huge fan of short-term mission programs. In the over 30 years I have been in the business I have had only one “group” come over, and I can’t say it had any impact, positive or negative on them or the field. I remember a college singing group once wanted to come and “bless” our ministry and I told them I worked in the bush and couldn’t imagine what they could do. Your approach sounds at least a bit more practical.

The discussion on STM is long and complicated. I do believe that for SOME fields a helping hand may be okay, but remember for every church building built, every house painted you and the missionary are taking away local jobs from the economy. Time doesn’t allow me to discuss the impact of taking away local church responsibility when a foreign group intervenes. As I have written, STM is primarily for the American Christian, and has little missiological benefit.

Actually, what you started out doing, going without doing is probably more profitable for the group. If I was involved in STM it would be trips to educate the church back home on what missionaries/organizations (national as well as Western), are doing and from those trips find creative ways on how to plug ONLY after you have a thorough understanding of the need. All specialized ministry requires a setting off a certain amount of time for intense education. On my blogs I have suggested a few books and if you will read through my blogs you will at least get one persons view of the issues. Of course many disagree as STM’s is very popular and you can find tons of missionaries who will welcome you. It’s mostly about money, however, not about ministry.

Sorry to sound so glum. I know long distance communication like this may come off harsh and judgmental, but that’s not. Obviously you have a heart for God, the world and the GC. My advice is to keep learning and connecting with those who do it right before you launch out.

RGL