Friday, September 19, 2008

The Life Of A Non-Resident Missionary

And so another journey begins for Blue Passport. Seven weeks, thirty thousand miles, twelve time zones and three countries. Along with the travel I will teach at least 120 hours before nearly 100 people including cross-cultural church planters assembling in Hyderabad, MA students in Bangalore and one student from Denver, Colorado. I will enjoy, briefly, New Delhi where we lived for four years, Indian village life, the halls of academia and a conference with world Christian leaders in Thailand. I will miss my wife’s milestone birthday October 5th (I won’t tell you her age, but you can write her by sending a message to Sandralewis2@gmail.com), and, thankfully, the presidential campaign and election (though I’ve already cast my absentee ballot). I will also miss, regretfully, moving my aged parents off their farm of 33 years into assisted living.

And why do I go through all of this? So that I can communicate the importance of taking the message of Christ cross-culturally to those who have never heard. My appreciation to all those who support us financially and through prayer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just chatting with your brother and we were talking about cross-cultural issues. I mentioned that it seems there are some things that are cross-cultural that SHOULD be communicated to short and/or long-term personnel crossing over into another culture. (e.g. paradigms that structure how a people group generally process a metaphor, etc.) However, there are some other issues that are not significantly different and perhaps not even different at all (e.g. hand bell concerts are not highly effective evangelical tools in the U.S. or in other countries). Perhaps the first category (cross-cultural) consists of missional efforts whereas the latter (uni-cultural?) is a collection of attractional efforts. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to get your thoughts on things that are cross-cultural vs. things that are uni-cultural.
Thanks, b