Sunday, February 22, 2009

Missed Opportunity

In the last post I discussed the shortsightedness of short-term teams and their need to have more than the feel-good experience of being in Africa. But there is another part of that story that is crucial and that is the career missionaries themselves. Are they seizing a golden opportunity to let people know of their financial and spiritual needs?

My first question to the career family was, “Are you making the best use of these teams to let them know of your ministry?” I told this young couple that I would never let a group of people, who obviously are concerned with the Great Commission or they wouldn’t be there, to get out of town without building a database for future potential support. I would get the emails of everyone in the group and make sure they were a part of the monthly ministry update; I’d talk to the head of the group and ask if it would be possible to visit the church when back home on furlough; I’d give them those missionary prayer cards which gives information on where to send donations; I’d even print out the last newsletter and give to them. Since the women were slobbering all over the three-year-old boy, I said, factiously, I’d have him pass out the prayer cards. I’d put a sign around Fido’s neck that read, www.pleasesupportmyowners.com. Well, not really, but you get my point.

I am not suggesting that missionaries be crass about raising support and Lord knows there is a boundary that can be crossed where one can be a nuisance in always asking for support. However, everyone in our business knows that’s it’s hard to raise and maintain funds for ministry. To have a group of people around you for two weeks and not at least let them know they can invest in the lives of those who are there longer than 14 days is, to me, missing a great opportunity.

People don’t know the needs unless they are informed. My problem with short-term missions is that it is often shortsighted and misdirected. With the help of missionaries on the ground they have an occasion to help those teams have more of an impact in missions than just putting a coat of paint on a building.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have hit the nail square on the head, my friend. I am a supporter of missions not a missionary. Grew up having family friends that went to the mission field, housing missionaries as they stayed in our home, and doing short-term missions - both as a participant and as a sponsor.

I have watched countless slide shows (and now power points) of missionaries and they appeal to the emotions. That's great - we have to have a heart for the work; however, being a 'doer' and intellectual, appeal to my common sense. No one wants to talk about the percentage of funding they have or lack, the long term financial plan for the family, or specific needs. Just 'give as the Lord leads'. The Lord leads me by knowing the facts.

But maybe I just don't function normally. :-)