Sunday, October 02, 2005

Looking For The Right Pitch

A friend of mine gave me a CD before I left the states, Rick Warren’s kickoff service of Saddleback’s latest program, “40 Days of P.E.A.C.E.” I was unable to go to church this morning, so I listened to the CD instead.

Of course I enjoyed, not only the message, but the content as well. Rick is a gifted speaker and no one questions his success in building a strong church. I must admit, I’ve never read his runaway bestseller, The Purpose Driven Life, partly because I have an aversion to jumping on bandwagons. No doubt I would profit from the reminders that are basic and valuable for every Christian, and in time, I probably will read it.

It’s interesting how the Holy Spirit uses a message for HIS purpose. Rick was talking about using our lives to serve Christ by serving others. While that is a message I need, it was not what impressed me most. The thing that grabbed me was the positive tone of Rick’s presentation. When I say positive, I don’t mean in the sense of Schuller or Osteen, which tends to be inward focused, but a positive presentation of what God wants for our lives to fulfill His purpose.

I contrasted Rick’s message with that of another person I admire and that is John McArthur. John is a noted Bible scholar and down through the years I have listened to his expository presentations. His command of the original languages is unquestioned and as a result he brings out unique insights from the pages of Scripture.

The difference between Warren and McArthur is tone. Warren’s tone is more along the lines what is right and good whereas McArthur’s sides more with what is wrong and bad. It’s no secret that McArthur has been critical of Warren’s writing’s as he was on Larry King Live basically characterizing Warren’s writing as “pop Christianity.” He may be right, though I think it probably doesn’t do McArthur or the Kingdom much good to get on national television to make that point.

Critical analysis is one of my areas of giftedness, which has evolved over the years. Because of my age and experience, I’ve lived enough of life to discern what is real and sensible, from what is misleading and thoughtless. Obviously cross-cultural ministry is my arena of expertise and I’m pretty open with my views on the church as it relates to world evangelization. The trick is, and this is where the Spirit nicked me this morning, the fine balance between critical analysis and just being critical. Am I more like Warren or McArthur? Tone is everything. I’m praying for the right pitch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I just love reading whats on your heart and mind. If only you'd get that book published.....anyway, tell mom to post something so I can enjoy both of your minds and hearts.

AfricaBleu said...

It depends on the day, Dad, it depends on the day... :)

Good post. I've started "Purpose Driven Life" about four hundred times, and have only made it through the first week or two - not because it's not good but because I'm not very scheduled.

Maybe I'll try again.

Anonymous said...

Without even going to my bible where the pages are dog-eared from where you taught about "Making the road straight", I can tell you that I appreciate all facets of your personality.

Certainly your critical analysis draws me to support you. You are only one I can think of that looks at a tribe or a city and is challenged to impact it - as a whole - for Christ. You vision is not narrow.

Your encouragement is certainly not critical... it is rejuvanating and refreshing.

Your messages (that I've had the blessing of hearing) are certainly not fluff - they provide the meat. Sometimes, I think the perception of a heavy subject that challenges is that you're critical - perhaps that's even your view.

Your voice is passionate and your heart is exposed as sincere. That combination gives you the perfect tone. But what do I know? I'm one of your biggest fans.

Lorna

Anonymous said...

Richard,

Great blog transparency and that is what ultimately gives us the right tone, don't you think?!

I think some of the difference in tone - if not much of it - is personality type. Johnny Mac comes off as much more meloncholy than Warren's sanguine flower shirts!

But the days of rigid, negativity are over. The days of positive, felixiblity are here.

People are tired, torn, hurt, broken, beat up, burned out or as Warren puts it: every time he speaks he remembers that the people listening: are fearful, have failed, are frustrated, fatigued, and just plain fallen!

Critical or criical analysis . . . with a humble heart that is positive about the transforming power of Jesus Christ?

I am with you in desring to dvelop the latter!